Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Europe & US 2011 : Day 2 (May 10, 2011)

Some days are hectic, and tiring – and today was one such day. Still recovering from the jet lag, I got up at 6 am, and left for a business meeting at 7.30 am. Drove for about an hour to reach the Wrigley chewing gum factory in the ‘middle of nowhere’ in upcountry France….
The meeting lasted three hours, and concluded with lunch. There were other visitors – from the Wrigley Corporate HQ in Chicago, and they were very clear in their mind when they told me, that this factory in France served the best lunch anywhere. We (my colleague and I) had not much option but to take their word.
On the lunch menu, proudly displayed, was ‘rabbit meat’ I must confess I felt sick. Despite the fact that I was aware that the French love rabbit, and that last year, my wife quite unaware of what she was having for dinner, was fed rabbit meat by her most generous host. And she had liked it.
But I felt sick. I mean rabbit are these playful pets one has at home, or like in the animal den that my pre nursery school going son had, in his school. The kids used to visit the animal den, and go play with the rabbits. The rabbits are meant to be pets – who you can go play with…That is why I felt sick..

Later in the day we left for Dublin via Frankfurt. Everything went wrong at Frankfurt airport. First, the flight from Basel arrived late. Second travelling from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 –from where we had to board our flight to Dublin, was – like miles away. When we reached the boarding gate, we saw a huge queue at the security counter. When we cleared security, we had about 10 minutes to board the next flight. And the, the security personnel decided that my camera was indeed a very suspicous looking object...

I made it to the flight. We landed at 9 pm local time, in a very cold and wet Dublin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment