Sunday, May 8, 2011

Europe & US 2011: Day 1 (May 9 , 2011)

It was just under a year ago, that I created this blog - a 'Travel Log' to put down thoughts and observations as I travel to different parts of the World. Every moment is a learning experience, and some experiences worth sharing. A different Country or City, different climate, different people, and a generally different way of life, provide a new experience every time.

I leave India in less than two hours. First stop is Basel Mulhouse. Twin cities on the French, German, Swiss border. The airport itself is an interesting experience. It's called the 'Euro Airport' You land, pick up your bags and when you head out, you come across three exits. One leads in to Switzerland, the second in to France and the third exit is for entry into Germany. Sounds amazing. You are standing in one hall, and depending upon which door you choose, you enter into a different country. All I can say is "This happens only in Europe..."

I also look forward to my stopover at Dublin, Ireland. This is my third trip there. Dublin is a charming city, and one immediately feels at home. Everyone speaks English, you drive on the left hand side of the road - all too familiar.....And the Irish people are warm and kind.
As in the last two trips, I will make it a point to visit the famous 'Trinity College' - Ireland's equivalent of Oxford and Cambridge..

The trip to the US will be hectic, with the exception of a an extended stopover at Chicago over the weekend. There's Altanta ( must catch up with old friends from the Coca Cola Company who now work at the Coke HQs), Houston, Akron (small sleepy town in Ohio, but HQs of the World renowned Goodyear Tire Company) and New Jersey, on the itinerary.

There's lots to look forward to, but as always, I feel a 'pang' when I know I am going to be away from home for ten days.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment